Friday, April 20, 2012

The Story of a Room: The Finished Room



If you are just tuning in check out the intro to this series here.

Thank you all so much for reading my series this week. I have had a great response and I feel like it's been good for readers to know that most design stories aren't just a before and an after. There is so much more that goes into each project. And I want to thank my amazing client for letting me share this story and her home with all of you. 

Let's review what we started with:


And here is what we ended up with! 


At that first initial consult I think her and I were both looking for something bold and maybe more modern feeling but in the end we came up with this beautiful, breezy and easy feeling space. 


The Swivel chairs and ottoman are from Lee Industries. The rug is from West Elm



Bird figure and pinecone from Alice Lane Home Collection


Trophies and vases from Alice Lane Home Collection. Basket and Books owned by client. 



Small houses and Orbs from Alice Lane Home Collection


Pillow sewn by Plush Studio in Schumacher Bleeker. Lamp from Visual Comfort


Leather sofa is from Alice Lane Home Collection


The floral pillows are done in Schumacher Hot House in Spark


The wood side table is antique from Great Exchange in Laguna Beach. 


Matches and candle snuffer are from Alice Lane Home Collection


Coffee table bench was custom made by the client's husband. White shams from Debbie's Porch



The set of mirrors are from Ballard Designs, no longer available. 

One thing that we really struggled with was where to put the piano. Pianos can be tricky to decorate around. 




We tried to break up the brown by having a custom slipcover made for the bench. 



Turtle Shell from Alice Lane Home Collection

While I was helping her with her Living Room she also enlisted my help with her Foyer. 


Mirror is from Star Mill in American Fork, Utah. 



The bench was a great consignment find by my client and she painted it white. It's an amazing piece. 


All photos by the amazing Jessica Kettle 

This will probably be one of my most memorable design experiences. It took almost a year to complete from start to finish so I felt like I evolved a lot as a designer through the process. My client was wonderful to work with and she really has great taste. I think she and I both taught each other a lot. She needed reassurance and a second opinion along the way and I needed someone to help me look outside my own "style". I pushed her to look outside of her box and she pushed me to look outside of mine. Designers can be pushy and sometimes they need to be. But this project was about letting the client's voice and personality come through in this space. Not mine. 

I wanted to share this experience with you on my blog so you could see how the process of a room comes together. Of course every room and every client evolve differently but this helps you see how much thought and effort goes into each room. With every project I encounter obstacles and it makes it that much more exciting to see the finished project come together. 

Just like a person, every room has a story. There is a history and an evolution to the spaces that we live. I love it when I get to be a part of that! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Copyright © 2012. Walls Modern Interiors - All Rights Reserved B-Seo Versi 5 by Blog Bamz